Sunday, August 22, 2010

Motherly Advice

    The well known President of the United States, Abraham Lincoln once said, "All that I am, or hope to be, I owe to my angel mother." The less known President, John Quincy Adams, had stated earlier, "All that I am my mother made me." Now I'm not going to address how I believe that there should be a stronger fatherly influence especially in today's American culture where most children grow up without a father figure at all.
    I want to mention something I have noticed especially in the home-schooling (That is, the child's parents, mostly mothers, teach them at home or in small classes together with other home-schoolers. Usually based in Judeo-Christian morals and beliefs.) community near me. I'm certainly not sexist in the usual sense of the word. I do, however, believe that men and women have equal yet different roles. I see that the seventeen, eighteen, year old seniors are not what I would hope they would be. I would hope that I could say, 'Look at this next generation of men and women, they are ready to change the world.' instead I look and think to myself (for a large part), 'Another bunch of boys and girls, when will they grow up?' I observe that perhaps moms, you should let your kids grow up. If your son misplaced his cell phone, don't crawl around on your hands and knees looking for it while he just stands there. Mothers, maybe, your job isn't to take care of your children at this age. It might be to raise them up to be men and women. You might have to let them make some mistakes. Moms don't answer questions directed at your kids, if your "kids" are capable of doing so on their own.
    John Stuart Mill once said "Men are men before they are lawyers, or physicians, or merchants, or manufacturers; and if you make them capable and sensible men, they will make themselves capable and sensible lawyers or physicians." Mothers, love your sons, give them that advice about the weather and how he might need a jacket, but in the end try to raise them to be capable and sensible.
    I would like to praise all the mother's out there. The work you do to raise your children is incredibly difficult. I am not trying to belittle you or what you do, just suggesting a possible way to improve. My mother needed incredible patience and perseverance with me (can't you tell), so here's thanks to you mom.
    What do you most appreciate about your mother?

2 comments:

  1. Yes, yes, yes. Three times yes! The point isn't to raise kids, but to raise adults. That is to say, the focus of a child's education needs to be on becoming an adult.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's the beginning of an essay I'm writing about my mom. I think it should answer your question "what do you appreciate about your mom?" quite thoroughly :-). I really couldn't pick 1 quality that I most appreciate... save perhaps her relationship with God.

    How shall I even begin to describe my mother? She is my mom, certainly, and my teacher-but she is so much more! She is my counselor, my friend, and often, my sense of humor. She knows both my weaknesses and my strengths, and never fails to point either out, that I may both grow and be encouraged. When I am low, she inspires me, and when I soar on the wings of invention, she gives me a healthy dose of realism. Her simple logic is the perfect antidote to my overcomplicated cognition. In so many ways she is my perfect foil, yet she complements me excellently. Through both her character and her effort she has prepared me well for life, giving me the priorities and skills that I need to succeed.

    ReplyDelete